My Rush Wish List
The band Rush is notorious for sticking to the following script: play most of the new album, the first track off of another 11 or 12 albums, one or two surprises, and call it a tour. Though I’ve seen them do this eight times (82, 85, 90, 91, 94, 02, 12, 13), rumor has it that the current tour could provided more in the way of surprises, and since this will be the last time I see the band I’m hoping to go out on a high note. While I could check the set list on-line, I’ve decided to go to Friday night’s show at the United Center in Chicago cold, because anticipating what song comes next is half the fun.
Recognizing that I’m reaching here, below is my Rush Wish List, and I’ll check back after Friday to see what part of my wish comes true. I suspect very little, but one never knows. I’m going to go in reverse chronological order.
20) from Clockwork Angels: Headlong Flight
19) from Snakes and Arrows: nothing really, but if I had to pick, Spin Drift would be okay.
18) from Feedback: nothing.
17) from Vapor Trails: Ceiling Unlimited
16) from Test for Echo: Half the World
15) from Counterparts: Between Sun & Moon, Everyday Glory
14) from Roll the Bones: The Big Wheel
13) from Presto: almost anything, but Chain Lightning and Superconductor would be cool.
12) from Hold Your Fire: Prime Mover
11) from Power Windows: Territories (yeah, they played this song on their last tour, but it’s soooo good)
10) from Grace Under Pressure: Kid Gloves
9) from Signals: Analog Kid (again, yeah…played on last tour, but…)
8) from Moving Pictures: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ
7) from Permanent Waves: Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Jacob’s Ladder, Natural Science
6) from Hemispheres: would love to hear the Prelude and The Sphere from Hemispheres, maybe part of La Villa Strangiato
1-5) Look, it’s no secret that Geddy Lee can no longer hit the night notes, which is fine. So rather than screech his way through a bunch of old tracks, I’d love to hear a musical medley that includes some of the following:
5) from A Farewell to Kings: A Farewell to Kings, Cygnus X-1
4) from 2112: A Passage to Bangkok, Something for Nothing
3) from Caress of Steel: The Fountain of Lamneth
2) from Fly By Night: Fly by Night
1) from Rush: Before and After
So there you are. I understand that on this tour there are a number of songs that Rush will be substituting between gigs. I’ll cross my fingers that I get the better of the two setlists, but either way, it’s been a hell of a ride for this band and this fan. My son and I will take it all in one last time.